Ventura County Coast (VCC) is a tourism brand encompassing the California cities of Camarillo, Oxnard, Ventura and Port Hueneme. The brand is administered by the Ventura County Lodging Association (VCLA) comprised of more than 60 lodging partners and destination marketing organizations seeking to attract overnight business and leisure visitors to the region.
California’s Economic Engine:
- The COVID-19 pandemic has caused global economic hardship. The travel industry has been especially hard hit, even more so than during the Great Recession.
- There was notable improvement to California’s tourism economy in 2021, however, with $100.2 billion in travel-related spending, a 46% increase from 2020. Still, traveler spending statewide remained 31% below the peak set in 2019.
- More than 927,000 jobs were supported by travel spending in 2021, a 6.4% increase from 2020.
- Travel-generated state and local tax revenue totaled $9.8 billion in 2021, a 33% annual increase.
- Visitors traveling to and through California on domestic flights increased by 57% in 2021 to 22.1 million.
- Visitors who stayed in hotel, motel, or short term rentals spent $52.4 billion in 2021, an increase of 44%.
Ventura County Coast Impact Numbers – 2021
Travel and tourism is an economic engine for our region, with Ventura County outpacing much of the rest of the state in terms of spending growth in 2021.
- Visitors contributed $1.6 billion in Total Travel-Related Spending, a 56% increase over 2020.
- Visitors staying in Hotels, Motels, and Short-term vacation rentals spent $674 million, 55% of all overnight visitor spending in the county.
- Travel spending supported more than 14,000 jobs in the county.
- Visitor spending generated $59 million in Local Tax Revenue and $84 million in State Tax Revenue.
- 17% of taxable sales in Ventura County were attributable to visitors, one of the highest proportions of any California county.
Visitor Trip Length in Ventura County Coast
- Length of stay = 2.6 nights
- Party size = 3.4 individuals
*Data provided by Visit California and Dean Runyan Associates
MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT & CEO
ROADMAP TO RESTORE AND GROW DEMAND FOR VENTURA COUNTY COAST
I am proud to report that over the past decade we have experienced consistent travel-related economic growth resulting in a 34 percent increase in direct travel spending. We have also seen steady job growth and year-over-year increases in local tax revenue here in Ventura County.
The 2019 “California Travel Impacts” report, prepared for Visit California by Dean Runyan Associates, shows visitor spending reached more than $1.8 billion and supported 17,000 jobs in Ventura County. Additionally, visitor spending generated $57 million in local tax revenue last year, providing a stream of revenue in Ventura County to fund our community’s way of life including support of essential programs, such as public safety, infrastructure and parks.
This data clearly shows how crucial the travel industry is for our lodging partners, workforce and local economies. Although the coronavirus pandemic will erase our 10 years of growth, we are facing this challenge head on with strategic optimism and data-driven decisions.
To ensure the tourism industry rebounds in Ventura County, we are working closely with all of our destination partners including Visit Camarillo, Visit Oxnard, Visit Ventura, Port Hueneme and Visit California among others. Over the past two years we have created a unique culture of collaboration here in Ventura County Coast. It is this unified effort that will be our source of strength as we meet and overcome the challenges and hardships we are all facing as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
We know in 2019 visitor spending reached more than $1.8 billion in Ventura County and we look forward to reaching and exceeding that figure as we work to restore and grow demand for our region.
President & CEO
Ventura County Lodging Association