Ventura County Coast (VCC) is a tourism brand encompassing the California cities of Camarillo, Oxnard, Ventura and Port Hueneme. The brand is administered by the Ventura County Lodging Association (VCLA) comprised of more than 60 lodging partners and destination marketing organizations seeking to attract overnight business and leisure visitors to the region.
California’s Economic Engine:
- The COVID-19 pandemic has caused global economic hardship. The travel industry has been especially hard hit, even more so than during the Great Recession.
- Direct travel-related spending in California totaled $65.1 billion in 2020 a 55 percent decrease from the previous year.
- Direct travel-generated employment neared 860.9 thousand, a 26.8 percent decrease over 2019.
- Travel-generated state and local tax revenue was $6.1 billion in 2020, a decrease of 50.2 percent over the preceding year.
- Visitor air travel on domestic flights to California destinations decreased by 64 percent in 2020.
- Visitors who stayed in hotel, motel or short term rentals spent $34.6 billion in 2020, a decline of 53.3%
Ventura County Coast Impact Numbers – 2020
Travel and tourism is an economic engine for our region.
- Total Travel Spending was more than $916.8 million in 2020
- Travel Related Jobs resulted in more than 13,600 jobs
- Total Local Tax Revenue was $84.4 million
*Data provided by Visit California and Dean Runyan Associates
MESSAGE FROM THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
ROADMAP TO RESTORE AND GROW DEMAND FOR VENTURA COUNTY COAST
I am proud to report that over the past decade we have experienced consistent travel-related economic growth resulting in a 34 percent increase in direct travel spending. We have also seen steady job growth and year-over-year increases in local tax revenue here in Ventura County.
The 2019 “California Travel Impacts” report, prepared for Visit California by Dean Runyan Associates, shows visitor spending reached more than $1.8 billion and supported 17,000 jobs in Ventura County. Additionally, visitor spending generated $57 million in local tax revenue last year, providing a stream of revenue in Ventura County to fund our community’s way of life including support of essential programs, such as public safety, infrastructure and parks.
This data clearly shows how crucial the travel industry is for our lodging partners, workforce and local economies. Although the coronavirus pandemic will erase our 10 years of growth, we are facing this challenge head on with strategic optimism and data-driven decisions.
To ensure the tourism industry rebounds in Ventura County, we are working closely with all of our destination partners including Visit Camarillo, Visit Oxnard, Visit Ventura, Port Hueneme and Visit California among others. Over the past two years we have created a unique culture of collaboration here in Ventura County Coast. It is this unified effort that will be our source of strength as we meet and overcome the challenges and hardships we are all facing as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
We know in 2019 visitor spending reached more than $1.8 billion in Ventura County and we look forward to reaching and exceeding that figure as we work to restore and grow demand for our region.
Ventura County Lodging Association